THE BEST OF 2016 AWARDS ARE HERE! I've got natural beauty, skin care, hair care, body care and lifestyle products that I loved during 2016 to share with you. And some new awards, too! Grab a snack, because this is a long one! Without further ado, the awards! Be sure to check out the full length video below for details on each product.
Translucent Setting Powder: W3LL People Bio-Brightener Powder
Tinted Setting Powder / Powder Foundation: Zuzu Luxe Pressed Powder Foundation
Full Coverage Concealer: W3LL People Bio-Correct Concealer
Lightweight Concealer: Nu Evolution Camouflage Cream
Primer: Hynt Beauty Skin Prep Primer
Blush: Honest Beauty Cream Blush Truly Exciting
Brow Pencil: Honest Beauty Brow Pencil
Brow Wax: Eco Brow
Eyeliner Pencil: Honest Beauty Brow Filler
Mascara: Lily Lolo Mascara
Eyeshadow Palette: Honest Beauty Eyeshadow Trio
Single Pressed Shadows: Root Pretty Eyeshadows
New Beauty Brand (to me): Nu Evolution Cosmetics
Beauty Box Subscription: Teri Miyahira Beauty
New Beauty Launch: Juice Beauty Phyto-Pigments Line
New Way To Transition To Clean Beauty: Clean Beauty Academy
Cleanser: Aleavia Cleanser
Lip Balm: Henne Organics Lip Balm Tube
Facial Oil: Ko & Humble Passion Fruit Seed Oil
Facial Serum: Kypris Antioxidant Dew
Treatment: Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Sensitive
BODY & HAIR CARE
Bug Repellent: Badger Anti-Bug Balm Stick
Deodorant (Baking Soda Free): Meow Meow Tweet Baking Soda Free Grapefruit Deodorant
Deodorant (Baking Soda): Green Tidings Lavender Deodorant
Body Lotion: Flourish Honey Blossom Lotion
Collagen Product: Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
Protein Powder: Vital Proteins Cocoa Coconut Protein Powder
Protein Bar: Rx Bars
Fitness: barre3 Online Subscription
Looking for a specific section? Check the timestamps below for sections.
Brows / Eyes: 6:14-9:52
Best Brand, Best Box, Best Beauty Launch: 10:36-12:29
Skin Care 12:30-15:12
Body Care 15:13-16:14
Or check out my favorites from 2015.
For the beauty addict...
1. Henne Organics Lip Collection. This lip balm and exfoliation set is sublime. The Henne Organics lip balm in the pot stole my heart last winter (and saved my lips!), but to see them come out with the same balm in a tube is pure magic. The set includes the cult classic balm in a pot, a tube and also their new Rose Diamonds lip exfoliator. Each of these items is also available for purchase separately, and the tube is gender neutral enough you could even get away with gifting is as a stocking stuff for your man.
2. Juice Beauty Phyto Lip Trio. As long as we're talking about lips, let's add some color! When I saw this holiday gift set on Juice Beauty's website, I literally screamed. I may have purchased it as a gift...but I ended up keeping it for myself.
3. RMS Living Luminizer. This coveted cream highlight has graced the skin of Victoria's Secret models and looks amazing on everyone. It's the perfect glow from within.
4. Antonym Noisette Eyeshadow Quad. This luxurious eyeshadow palette is perfect for an every day look and also has a gorgeous gold shade for a more dramatic evening look. The packaging is swoon-worthy and the ingredients are fantastic.
5. Furless Cosmetic Brushes. Every beauty addict can use a few more brushes. Furless' brushes are cruelty free and high performance. Grab a set or just one.
For the wonder woman, the mom, the selfless servant - anyone who needs pampering!
1. 100% Pure Body Scrub. This is the most luxurious body scrub on the planet! Coconut is my go-to flavor.
2. Flourish Honey Blossom + Marshmallow Root Body Lotion. This lotion not only comes in a frosted glass bottle, but smells like actual heaven.
3. Treat Collection Nail Polish. Who doesn't love a manicure? These Nail Polishes are free of common nasties and have a huge shade range.
4. Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Sensitive. This treatment is the ultimate, it's my number one. Nothing makes my skin look as fresh or radiant!
5. Acure Dry Body Oil Spray. This body oil is not only affordable, but it isn't greasy and feels amazing on the skin. It comes in three scents - Citrus Ginger, Coconut and Rose.
For the homebody...
1. Woodlot Candle. Most women love candles, but sadly most candles are full of toxins. Woodlot candles are free of synthetic fragrance and are made with a clean burning wick and coconut wax. It's the cleanest candle out there with the chicest packaging.
2. Thao Tea. Thao tea's are organic, loose-leaf and full of fun flavors! You cannot go wrong with the Guava Ginger White Tea.
3. Graymarket Design Toiletry Bag. These toiletry bags are ethically produced, come in fun patterns, and are large enough to accommodate any green beauty addict's makeup collection for travel.
4. ShopLNL DRINKS Market Bag. My favorite reusable tote bag is perfect for grocery shopping, the farmer's market or even a book bag. It's sturdy, fits all the things and makes your love of green juice super clear. A note on shipping, all orders must be placed by Dec. 8th to ensure delivery before Christmas.
5. Essential Oil Diffuser. Every homebody needs at least one essential oil diffuser, why not give the gift of a cute one?
For the wellness junkie...
1. Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides or Collagen Whey Protein. These collagen and whey protein products are unbeatable. They are made with organic, grass-fed collagen and whey and have a ton of protein. The peptides stir effortlessly into any food or liquid without changing the taste or texture. The protein power contains both whey and collagen, tastes amazing and uses whey concentrate, not isolate which is far easier to digest.
2. barre3 online subscription. barre3 is the ultimate for me when it comes to fitness. I've never enjoyed a program so much, felt so empowered or seen physical changes in my body like I have with barre3. In person classes are available across the country, but I particularly love the online subscription - it's so convenient and all the instructors make the workouts fun!
3. Propolis Diffuser. These are the newest health inventions on my radar. I don't own one yet, but it is definitely on my list. These machines diffuse propolis (a compound created by bees) into the air, which cleans the air much like an air purifier. While they do not absorb chemicals like a carbon filter would, the propolis compounds have been known to eliminate mold, bacteria, viruses and more.
4. Vitamix Blender. The ultimate for green smoothie making!
5. S'well Water Bottle. Because who doesn't want the fanciest water bottle ever made?
1. Mountain Rose Herbs Essential Oils. Everyone can use an essential oil or two. For someone new to oils, stick with something that everyone enjoys like lemon and include a little card with ways to use it. My favorite oil is Frankincense and most people wouldn't buy it for themselves. Mountain Rose Herbs is my favorite place to buy oils because they're high quality, organic and affordable. Check!
2. Zoe Organics Breathe Balm. This stick balm is great for colds and congestion. It's technically formulated for kiddos, but there's no reason adults can't use it, too.
3. Rx Bars. These are my absolute favorite protein bars. They have very few ingredients and are high quality. Nothing artificial and no filler ingredients, plus...so many flavors! I love the Maple Sea salt.
4. Justin's Peanut Butter Cups. Because, chocolate.
5. Hurraw! Lip Balm. These lip balms come in a ton of flavors and are great for both men and women.
You know those times when you hear about an amazing beauty product and get so excited to try it, but then you buy it and are underwhelmed. Here are the products that I think are totally worth the hype they get.
Real Techniques Brushes
Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Sensitive
Josh Rosebrook Lift
100% Pure Body Scrub
Schmid'ts Deodorant Lime Bergamot
Lily Lolo Mascara
Beauty counter Tint Skin
Alima Pure Satin Matte Foundation
My August Faves in a nutshell....
1. Aila Doolish Nail Polish. The absolutely perfect peach shade.
2. The All Natural Face Eyeshadow in Pomegranate. This red shade is so gorgeous in the crease. Along these lines, I'm also loving a good warm toned smokey eye. Give me all the warm tones and no one gets hurt!
3. Contouring. I've been using the Cover FX Total Cover Cream Foundation in N25 as a cream highlight and Silk Naturals HD Cream Foundation in C80 as a cream contour.
4. The Beauty Blender. The Queen of Blending.
It's that time of the month!
I am passionate about getting all you beauties transitioned to using healthier, less toxic cosmetics. In this video, I'll tell you why you need to, what those toxic ingredients are doing to you, and easy ways to find healthier (but equally high performance) products.
Learning how to choose Clean Beauty products can be really confusing if you're just starting out. Did you know that your skin is your largest organ and absorbs up to 64% of what has been put on it within seconds? That is so scary once you know how dirty your favorite makeup and body products are.
Sadly, the US only bans about 11 toxic chemicals from being using in our personal care products. Europe bans over 1300!
So where should you start?
The first thing you need to know is that you should not grab a pretty, shiny box that claims to be "natural". There are no regulations regarding using the word natural.
To start, you'll want to avoid these chemical bad guys:
1. Parabens. Parabens are preservatives that keep harmful microbial growth from occurring. BUT. They are known to throw off your endocrine system (by mimicking estrogen) and they are also carcinogens.
2. Phthlalates - Phthalates are plasticizers which are also endocrine disruptors and carcinogens. They've also been linked to birth defects. These are often found in nail polish and hair products.
3. Oxybenzone. Oxybenzone is a chemical sunscreen ingredient that is linked to birth defects and disrupt the endocrine system. Look for sunscreens that use zinc oxide or titanium dioxide instead.
4. Synthetic Fragrance / Parfum / Perfume. Fragrance is a catch-all term that can mean a toxic chemical cocktail of up to hundreds of chemicals that are combined to create one signature scent. Many of these chemicals have never been tested for safety! They are also extremely irritating, in addition to being endocrine disruptors and carcinogens. Look for products that use pure essential oils to create their signature scent instead.
5. Petrochemicals. Petroleum based products are typically used as thickeners or emulsifiers to make your products spread across the skin a bit easier. Once again, these bad boys can be contaminated with (or be) carcinogens, and they tend to be just kind of yucky on the skin.
6. Sulfates. These are antibacterial or emulsifiers. However, they tend to be highly irritating, cause organ toxicity and are very drying. Look for these in hand soaps, toothpastes and hair products. The most common versions are Sodium Laurel Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate.
If you're looking to learn more about choosing Clean Beauty products, be sure to check out my course, Clean Beauty Academy. Click here to learn more about Clean Beauty Academy.