Acne is often thought about as a topical problem. While things like using heavy beauty or skin care products, having a dirty pillowcase or chatting on your cell phone can certainly contribute to acne and breakouts, I think that acne is an internal problem. Most people know that acne can be hormonal, which is definitely a valid cause. But let's look at three other surprising internal causes of acne.
1. Food Sensitivities. Gluten sensitivity can cause inflammation, which can be seen in the skin. However, I find that most acne that is related to food sensitivity is caused by dairy. Dairy is a very congestive food and it is quite difficult to digest. To check out my thoughts on dairy in general, click here.
2. Excessive Sugar & Yeast Overgrowth. Have you ever binged on ice cream and then had a massive pimple the next day? Sugar is a common cause of acne and breakouts. A bigger issue is when a person has yeast overgrowth - often described as Candida - throughout the body. Yeast Overgrowth can happen from antibiotic use, not enough good bacteria in the gut, excessive sugar, simple carbs and alcohol intake.
3. Toxins. If your body cannot naturally detoxify the amount of chemicals that are coming in to your body, they pile up. Typically, toxins get stored in your bodies fat cells, but when they are trying to come out and your body is having trouble processing them - they have to go somewhere! That somewhere is often out though the skin, which may seem surprising, but your skin is actually your biggest organ and the body is just trying to put it to good detoxification use.
1. Ditch dairy for 3 weeks to see if your skin improves.
3. Eat foods that are high in zinc, such as pumpkin seeds. Zinc can be a powerful acne preventative. If you feel like your acne is caused by hormonal imbalance, try seed cycling.
4. Begin a regular detoxification routine. If you don't know why detox is so important, I can help you with that too! You can also see my favorite detoxification methods here.
Get your password to enter The Vault below to gain access to the exclusive download on this topic and others.
If you want to get to the bottom of your acne or other wellness issues, you can work with me one on one, too!